5 Notable Sentences:
- I’m 17, five years younger than Rekia Boyd will be when she is shot in the head by an off duty police officer in Chicago.
- My heart is pounding out of my chest, not out of fear, but because I want a chance to choke the shit out of John Deere. I can’t think of any other way of making him feel what we felt.
- After the President’s letter goes out, my life kinda hurts.
- I receive a sweet letter in the mail with the burnt up ashes of my essays.
- Mama’s antidote to being born a black boy on parole in Central Mississippi is not for us to seek freedom; it’s to insist on excellence at all times.